Elasticsearch Charm Promulgation

Tom Haddon tom.haddon at canonical.com
Mon Aug 21 13:53:10 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 01:35:11PM -0500, Kevin Monroe wrote:
> Hey James!
>
> First up, thanks so much for bringing the ES charm up to v5.x!  Can you
> tell me if the source for cs:~jamesbeedy/elasticsearch-7 is the same as
> what we've got here:
>
> https://github.com/charms/charm-elasticsearch
>
> Or is that source waiting on this PR to bring it in line with your es-7
> charm:
>
> https://github.com/charms/charm-elasticsearch/pull/2
>
> The PR LGTM, so I'll merge it on your ack.  Let me know if there are other
> outstanding bits that need to go into this repo.  Once that's done, I
> propose we push this to the ~elastic-ops namespace of which you're a member:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~elastic-ops
>
> And then promulgate the ~elastic-ops charm rev.  As Rick and others have
> mentioned, teams help distribute ongoing maintenance to people that have a
> vested interest in certain charms.

We've been working off https://code.launchpad.net/elasticsearch-charm which
we've pushed to the charmstore here
https://jujucharms.com/u/elasticsearch-charmers/elasticsearch/

This seems to be based off a similar version to the one James has on github,
and the ~elastic-ops team you mention above is already a member of the
elasticsearch-charm project.

We're using this charm on xenial successfully, so maybe it'd be worth trying
to work together to get
https://jujucharms.com/u/elasticsearch-charmers/elasticsearch/ as the
promulgated upstream charm.

> @Simon / Bret:  you are on the ~onlineservices-charmers team that owns the
> current promulgated ES charm.  Would you be willing to relinquish
> maintainership to ~elastic-ops (and would you like to be members of that
> team)?

I checked with some of the ~onlineservices-charmers team and they were happy
for https://jujucharms.com/u/elasticsearch-charmers/elasticsearch/ to replace
the current promulgated charm (which only supports precise and trusty). We
should test that you can successfully charm upgrade from theirs to this charm
(on trusty) - I'm happy to take that on, and will update here once we've done
so.