Juju deploy a model, MAAS node status

Dmitrii Shcherbakov dmitrii.shcherbakov at canonical.com
Mon Aug 7 10:56:44 UTC 2017

Hi Wahi,

> Do I need to add machines from Juju GUI before deploying models ?

No need for that (see also https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1567169
)

# deploy on any 'Ready' machine available in a pool
juju deploy mysql

# you already have a model with a machine 0 and you want to deploy there
juju deploy mysql --to 0

# give me a new machine and create a container on it
juju deploy mysql --to lxd

# deploy to a *new* container on machine 0
juju deploy mysql --to lxd:0

# deploy to an *existing* container lxd:1 on machine 20
juju deploy mysql --to 20/lxd/1

You can also use constraints (including tags, availability zones or other
machine properties) to deploy with different criteria for machines:
https://jujucharms.com/docs/stable/reference-constraints

NOTE: --to overrides any constraints you specify

> I tried to deploy a simple mariadb with --to option in order to specify
the n ode name but Juju didn't managed to boot the machine, so on MAAS do I
need to have node with Ready state with no OS on it ?

Yes, you need a node in the "Ready" state in order to allocate a new one
via Juju.

maas maas machines read hostname=obambo | jq '.[].status_name'
"Ready"

juju deploy ubuntu --to obambo.maas

Located charm "cs:ubuntu-10".
Deploying charm "cs:ubuntu-10".

maas maas machines read hostname=obambo | jq '.[].status_name'
"Deploying"

> When I tried only juju deploy mariadb I am getting this:

Not sure if you have any "Ready" nodes. If you don't, that makes sense.

Also, I hope you are using the latest versions of both Juju and MAAS - not
the ones that come in the main repo:

https://jujucharms.com/docs/2.2/reference-install
https://docs.ubuntu.com/maas/2.2/en/installconfig-package-install

I hope that helps.