[ANN] Bigtop-1.2 charms/bundles have been released

Kevin Monroe kevin.monroe at canonical.com
Tue Apr 25 16:54:16 UTC 2017

Hi folks!

After over a year in development, Apache Bigtop 1.2 was released earlier
this month.  Today, we released updated charms and bundles for this release
to the appropriate stable channels.

HIGHLIGHTS:

+ Software versions:
- hadoop-namenode 2.7.3
- hadoop-plugin 2.7.3
- hadoop-resourcemanager 2.7.3
- hadoop-slave 2.7.3
- hbase 1.1.3-1 **
- kafka 0.10.1.1-1
- mahout 0.12.2-1 **
- pig 0.15.0
- spark 2.1.0-1
- zeppelin 0.7.0
- zookeeper 3.4.6-1 **

** There is a planned bigtop-1.2.1 point release to bring in hotfixes.
This will likely include hbase-1.1.9, mahout-0.13, and zookeeper-3.4.10.
No charm changes are required; when these debs hit the upstream repo, the
charms will provide the new version.

+ Juju 2.0 or greater
- To leverage Juju Resources, bigtop-related charms now require Juju 2 or
greater.

+ Usability
- Refreshed READMEs and actions for a consistent UX

+ Hadoop-Spark
- Reduced resource requirements.  Spark is not in HA mode in this bundle,
so we removed 3 unnecessary zookeeper units.

+ Spark
- New configuration to change driver/executor memory at runtime.
- Improved spark reliability when changing execution mode (local,
standalone, yarn).

KNOWN ISSUES:

+ GCE
- https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju/+bug/1674871
- Most of our applications require a minimum of 7g ram.  We set a generic
memory constraint in our bundles for a consistent experience across all
clouds.  However, with GCE, mem=7G results in a "highcpu" instance type.
These are significantly more expensive than "standard" instance types.
- If "highcpu" instances are not required, workaround this issue by
modifying a local copy of bundle.yaml.  For example:

$ charm pull hadoop-processing
cs:bundle/hadoop-processing-58
$ cd hadoop-processing/
$ sed -ie 's/mem=7G/instance-type=n1-standard-2/' bundle.yaml
$ juju deploy ./bundle.yaml

+ Zeppelin
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-2742
- The init script for the zeppelin service is broken.  The charm will work
around this during install and relation changes, but users may find that
things like "sudo systemctl <action> zeppelin" on the unit do not work.
- We'll update the zeppelin charm once an appropriate fix lands upstream.

Please let me know if you have any questions or issues with the bigtop-1.2
release.  Thanks!
-Kevin Monroe