List plugins installed?

Stuart Bishop stuart.bishop at canonical.com
Thu Sep 29 08:33:14 UTC 2016

On 28 September 2016 at 22:45, roger peppe <roger.peppe at canonical.com>
wrote:

> On 28 September 2016 at 14:55, Rick Harding <rick.harding at canonical.com>
> wrote:
> > This is just a miss. The original ability to see the plugins was a
> subset of
> > the help command and didn't make our CLI spreadsheet for things to
> rework. I
> > agree that list-plugins is the right idea here and that means that
> plugins
> > becomes a noun in our language.
> >
> > What's interesting is that add/remove fall out because that
> > installing/uninstalling. I think that show-plugin might be interesting to
> > auto run the --description flag to bring it into CLI alignment with the
> new
> > world order.
>
> I've voiced discomfort with this before - I don't think that we should
> arbitrarily run all executables that happen to have a "juju-" prefix.
> It's potentially dangerous (for example, note that although git relies
> heavily
> on plugins, it doesn't execute a plugin until you explicitly name it).
>
> Perhaps there could be a standard way for a plugin to provide
> metadata about itself as a data file.

It also might be time to work out how a Juju snap is going to call or
install plugins. I don't think the existing design is going to work, and
there is still time to flag it as deprecated in the changelogs for 2.0 and
work out the way forward for 2.1.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop at canonical.com>