LXD instances fail to start

Ryan Beisner ryan.beisner at canonical.com
Wed Sep 14 20:04:19 UTC 2016

In one case yesterday, with a full openstack-on-lxd deployed and in use, I
quickly hit the too-many-open-files issue.

I raised fs.inotify.max_user_instances on the host to 500000 which
unblocked me for a while.  I ended up raising both to 999999 and have had
smooth sailing since.  Currently, the host shows 676063 files open.  That
is way above the default values of 128, respectively.  Bear in mind that
these are workarounds/observations to make-it-work(tm) and might not be the
best thing to do.  Also curious if there is more official input to this
issue.

Cheers,

Ryan