kill-controller, unregister, destroy-controller

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Thu Sep 1 13:40:03 UTC 2016

Hey everyone,

I know we've had discussions about this over the past few months, but it
seems we have three commands that overlap pretty aggressively.

Using Juju beta16, and trying to 'destroy' a controller it looks like this
now:

```
root at ubuntu:~# juju help destroy-controller
Usage: juju destroy-controller [options] <controller name>

Details:
All models (initial model plus all workload/hosted) associated with the
controller will first need to be destroyed, either in advance, or by
specifying `--destroy-all-models`.

Examples:
    juju destroy-controller --destroy-all-models mycontroller

See also:
    kill-controller
    unregister
```

When would you ever want to destroy-controller and not destroy-all-models?
I have to specify that flag everytime, it seems it should just be the
default behavior. Kill-controller seems to do what destroy-controller
--destroy-all-models does but more aggressively?

Finally, unregister and destroy-controller (without --destroy-all-models)
does the same thing. Can we consider dropping the - very long winded almost
always required - flag for destroy-controller?

Finally, there used to be a pretty good amount of feedback during
destroy-controller, while it was rolling text, I at least knew what was
happening. Now it's virtually silent. Given it runs for quite a long time,
can we get some form of feedback to the user back into the command?

```
root at ubuntu:~# juju destroy-controller --destroy-all-models cabs
WARNING! This command will destroy the "cabs" controller.
This includes all machines, applications, data and other resources.

Continue? (y/N):y
ERROR failed to destroy controller "cabs"

If the controller is unusable, then you may run

    juju kill-controller

to forcibly destroy the controller. Upon doing so, review
your cloud provider console for any resources that need
to be cleaned up.

ERROR cannot connect to API: unable to connect to API: websocket.Dial wss://
10.0.0.4:17070/api: dial tcp 10.0.0.4:17070: getsockopt: no route to host
root at ubuntu:~# juju kill-controller cabs
WARNING! This command will destroy the "cabs" controller.
This includes all machines, applications, data and other resources.

Continue? (y/N):y
Unable to open API: open connection timed out
Unable to connect to the API server. Destroying through provider.
ERROR listing resource groups: azure.ServicePrincipalToken#Refresh: Failure
sending request for Service Principal 83d638b0-841c-4bd1-9e7c-868cae3393f4:
StatusCode=0 -- Original Error: http: nil Request.URL
root at ubuntu:~# juju bootstrap cabs azure
ERROR controller "cabs" already exists
```

Marco