Charming with Resources

Matt Bruzek matthew.bruzek at canonical.com
Mon Oct 17 14:46:39 UTC 2016

Late to this thread, but I had to add a few things to this resource
discussion.

In my experience with charm development zero byte resources has been
beneficial in three areas, charm development, third party charms, and
testing.

*Charm development*. When creating a new charm that uses resources, it is
impossible to push a charm to the store without a resource. It was useful
to push a zero byte resource to get the charm up to the store before we had
the resources ready or sorted.

*Third party charms*. We already have third party charm developers using
zero byte resources so they can push their charms to the store. Those
charms require users to pay for the resources and "juju attach" them when
to the controller. Zero byte resources allow them to get their charm in the
store, and companies can still deliver software the way they want.

*Testing*. Some charms can deal with the lack of resource by falling back
to an apt-get install, or another method and then it is useful to have a
zero byte resource for testing. Some networks will not have a connection to
the charm store, so being able to test the zero byte resource is crucial
for limited network environment testing.

At least one time in early betas of Juju we got an incomplete resource,
either the file was too big or the connection was interrupted. It was not
clear to me if the "resource_get" python method threw an exception in that
case (to the best of my knowledge it simply calls resource-get command line
which may have completed). So we came up with a work around that checked
the resulting file size.

Also charms can not be tested with many of our tools until they get in the
charm store. At this time some of our tools do not support attaching local
resources so we can not test local charms with these tools. Of course we
are improving the tools but that was a legitimate blocker for charms that
use resources.

If there is disagreement on this, we don't have to make it policy we can
just use zero byte resources as a convention for the charms that
legitimately need it.

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bruzek at canonical.com>