[ANN] Updated Python Juju Client

Tim Van Steenburgh tim.van.steenburgh at canonical.com
Tue Nov 1 13:49:52 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

We've been working on a new python client for Juju. It's still in
development,
but we wanted to share the first bits to illicit feedback:
https://github.com/juju/python-libjuju

Features of this library include:

 * fully asynchronous - uses asyncio and async/await features of python 3.5
 * websocket-level bindings are programmatically generated (indirectly)
from the
   Juju golang code, ensuring full api coverage
 * provides an OO layer which encapsulates much of the websocket api and
   provides familiar nouns and verbs (e.g. Model.deploy(),
Application.add_unit(),
   etc.)

Caveats:

 * Juju 2+ only. Juju 1 support may be added in the future.
 * Requires Python 3.5+
 * Currently async-only. A synchronous wrapper will be provided in the
future.

If you want to try it out, take a look at the examples/ directory.
https://github.com/juju/python-libjuju/blob/master/examples/unitrun.py is a
fairly simple one that deploys a unit, runs a command on that unit, waits
for
and prints the results, then exits.

Any and all comments, questions, and contributions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Tim