Docker compose in Juju

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Tue May 31 13:22:51 UTC 2016

Hi Gayan,

I've added the general Juju list which covers more of these general topics.

So, because of the nature of LXC machines and Docker style application
containers it's hard to model that style application container in Juju in
the same way LXC machines work. However, it's quite easy to wrap something
like a Docker container, which works really well as a payload/software
delivery tool, but then you can use Juju to wrap that immutable object and
make it mutable inside of a Juju deployment.

I know there are quite a few people on the juju mailing list doing this
today, so I'll let them weigh in. In short, yes you can use Docker and
docker style application containers with Juju, but not in the same direct
way you would a LXC machine just because of the differences in function and
form.

Marco