Charm Store Policy Update: Propritary applications usage of Terms and Resources

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Thu May 26 14:01:40 UTC 2016

I'm +1 to requiring terms and resources for prop. applications.

This will effectively funnel our new onboarding efforts of these vendors
into the juju 2.0 path, and start them off using best practices - which
will really lend a hand to the robustness of their deployment (see: behind
the corp firewall)  As I just went through several rounds of this with our
own firewall setup to onboard a vendor into OIL.  Additionally it removes a
barrier to entry as many of these apps are behind registration walls or pay
walls (needs citation). Anywhere that we can ease use for our consumers I
am a loud +1.

Further more, terms ensures their IP concerns are being handled
appropriately. You don't agree to pay? you don't get to play.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 9:28 AM Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 26/05/16 00:21, Tom Barber wrote:
> >
> > I think Terms are good but terms for open source is overkill.
> >
> > For example if I apt install openjdk I wouldn't accept any terms
> > during the install process, but if I apt install oracle-jdk I would.
> >

> Agreed, no acknowledgement of terms should be needed for FLOSS charms or
> resources.
>
> Mark

Juju Charmer
Canonical Group Ltd.