Promulgated charms (production readiness)

David Britton david.britton at canonical.com
Mon May 16 15:55:09 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:06:32AM +0000, Charles Butler wrote:

> If we can enable this to be a short-story for every charm author, we should
> run this down and tackle it, throw money at it, and make it the best
> experience for "instant monitoring" ever.

I'd like to provide a bit of motivation and a charm consumer anecdote:

When the Openstack Autopilot incorporated nagios and related it to all
openstack charms (16.03 release), I personally saw the magic of juju at
play.

You went from having a lot of unrealized monitoring potential in your
juju deployed cloud to having a fully functioning monitoring solution
deployed, and ready to go, just an add-relation away.

That add-relation wasn't free, it took work coding, testing, integrating,
distilling operational knowledge, getting multiple contributors to
test and submit bug reports...

But, after that work, it's to the point now where nagios is highlighting
bugs in the deployment that were overlooked before (especially
longer-running cloud bugs that don't show up at deployment time).  So,
not just valuable for production, and something that operators have
grown to expect and trust, but something that helps keep bugs from
escaping downstream as well!

I just wanted to pass on a bit of encouragement that the work to
incorporate those checks was valuable and having that same experience
across other bits of big software makes charms alive and moves them ever
closer to invaluable operational tools.

--
David Britton <david.britton at canonical.com>