Reactive roadmap

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 14 16:12:40 UTC 2016

On 14/03/16 13:55, Simon Davy wrote:
> Right, downloading at build time is a different problem. The issue is
> that the layer might do something on the install hook, for example,
> which downloads from the internet at run time, on the units. Such
> things work fine in dev or for demos, but will fail in many production
> environments.

Resources, which are assets that can be published through the charm
store for charms (like a specific JVM tarball, or JAR file) are a
significant improvement in this.

Also, during the Juju 2.x timeline we will separate the "build" phase
from the "install" phase, enabling all the downloads to happen once only
and be shared across multiple units on clouds that support snapshots.

Mark