Reactive roadmap

Stuart Bishop stuart.bishop at canonical.com
Mon Mar 14 10:52:12 UTC 2016

On 9 March 2016 at 01:19, Simon Davy <simon.davy at canonical.com> wrote:

> 2) Layer pinning. Right now, layers are evolving fast, and the lack of
> pinning to layer versions has caused charm builds to break from day to
> day. Is this a planned feature?

You can pin the layers in your build environment - they are only
unpinned if you are pulling them direct from the upstream branch. A
tool like codetree could be used to checkout your dependencies with
pinned versions allowing repeatable builds if you need that. Allowing
you to deal with the accumulated breakage and incompatibilities in one
huge indigestible chunk later, far too late to affect upstream changes
;)

> 3) Downloading from the internet. This issue has been common in
> charmstore charms, and is discouraged, AIUI. But the same issue
> applies for layers, and possibly with more effect, due to a layer's
> composibility.  We simply can not utilise any layer that downloads
> things from github or similar, and I'm sure others are in a similar
> situation.  We're aware of resources, but not convinced this is a
> scalable solution for layers, as it makes using a charm that has
> layers that require resources much more complex. So, some clarity in
> this area would be helpful.

Yes, layers that do not work in network restricted environments are
not useful to many people. I think you will find layers will improve
things here. Layers only need to be written correctly once. And if
they are broken, only fixed once. A big improvement over cargo culted
code, where you could end up fixing essentially the same bug or adding
the same feature several times.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart.bishop at canonical.com>