"juju attach"

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Sat Jun 18 04:16:54 UTC 2016

Hi folks,

A couple of days ago I started looking at charming TitanDB. I was looking
at using resources to store the TitanDB distribution, and while looking at
the docs [0] I found a rather surprisingly named command: "juju attach".

The verb "attach" by itself tells me that, presumably, it will attach
something to something else. It doesn't tell me what. And because it's
non-specific, it either rules out the possibility of multiple unrelated
attach-type commands.

We always intended to give the user a means of attaching floating storage
to a unit/machine. i.e. I should be able to detach and reattach storage to
units in a model, so long as the storage provider supports it. I think the
commands would naturally be called "attach-storage" and "detach-storage".

Can we rename attach to attach-resource? Note that there's also "charm
attach". That may benefit from a similar rename too, at least to be
consistent.

Cheers,
Andrew

[0] https://jujucharms.com/docs/devel/developer-resources