Integration with OpenStack app catalog

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 14 04:33:23 UTC 2016

On 13/06/16 21:51, Merlijn Sebrechts wrote:

>     Hi Merlijn,
>
>     That's a great question.  It is something that we've followed.
>     Take note that the headline in the OpenStack Apps Catalog is:
>     /"The OpenStack Application Catalog will help you make
>     applications available on your cloud."/
>
>     But, I think it should more accurately state:
>     /"The OpenStack Application Catalog will help you make
>     applications available on **OpenStack clouds**."  (full stop)/
>
>     Juju Charms make applications available on all/most major public
>     clouds AND OpenStack clouds ... and on bare metal, and in
>     containers on your dev laptop, and who knows what next.
>

> Very true. Although TOSCA is making some progress in that direction.
> They currently support OpenStack, AWS, VMWare, Kubernetes and they
> also have a "manual provider" building on Fabric. They addressed a lot
> of the complexity issues in their "Simple YAML Profile" and Cloudify
> is creating a reference implementation that is getting some traction
> (http://ariatosca.org/). The Linux Foundation is also interested in
> this, basing their SDN and NFV project on it: https://www.open-o.org/
>
> Your thoughts?

I think it would be easy to stream charm details into the OpenStack
catalogue - it appears to have been architected to be a superset of
"stuff available". It would just need to understand the new "class of
stuff" called charms, and then get a feed of the available charms.

We agree that hiding the internals of the Juju controller is the way to
do. We've demoed Juju integrated with Horizon (and by extension
Keystone) so that there is a Juju controller "magically available" to
every user of the OpenStack, and yes that is the way to go. End users
should not have to bootstrap Juju in order to make models :)

TOSCA became bloated with complexity, and to address that every
implementation has custom extensions "to make stuff work". In due course
we might see a TOSCA-lite that is crisp and clean, and yes I agree the
simple Yaml profile is a step in the right direction (we helped to
create it :)). Open-O will use Juju charms as well, as best we can tell
from conversations with China Mobile and Huawei.

Mark