error with mariadb

Daniel Bartholomew dbart at mariadb.com
Fri Jun 3 17:24:49 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 6:18 AM, Rajith P Venkata <rajith.pv at in.ibm.com> wrote:
> I am trying to use  Mariadb 5.5 on  Ubuntu 14.x on Power 8 Little Endian
> with this we are getting error as unexpected token,
> Token I have used form https://mariadb.com/my_portal
>
> With verision Mariadb 10.05 we do not get this error but the plugin we are
> installing needs Mariadb 5.5.
>
> Please refer the logs below and let us know if Mariadb 5.5 works on Ubuntu
> 14.x on Power 8 Little Endian

MariaDB 5.5 does work on Ubuntu 14.x on Power 8 Little Endian.
However, after looking at the logs, I'm not sure what your error is.

In the unit-mariadb-5.log file, I see one error where something is
trying to connect to MariaDB when MariaDB isn't running, but I'm not
sure exactly what is trying to connect. A few lines further down in
the log MariaDB is started again, so if whatever was trying to access
MariaDB had waited a few seconds I would assume the connection attempt
would have succeeded. During installation and upgrades MariaDB is
stopped and started at various points as needed to apply updates to
internal system tables and other tasks.

In the unit-ibm-platform-rtm-4.log I see that line 203 of the
ibm-prtm.sh script has a syntax error, but I don't know anything about
that script that would enable me to comment further. I also see that
the script runs a ibm-prtm-mariadb.available test several times, but
again I don't know anything about that test or what it is checking
for.

I don't know if it will help you or not, but I recently pushed some
updates to my personal launchpad tree -
lp:~dbart/charms/trusty/mariadb/trunk - that sets the MariaDB charm to
use the MariaDB Foundation repositories by default if the MariaDB Inc
EULA and token are not provided as specified in the README. This new
version of the charm is not in the charm store yet, but hopefully it
will be soon.

I can confirm that the MariaDB Foundation repositories do have
packages for MariaDB 5.5 for Trusty on Power 8 Little Endian. The only
caveat I would add is that you'll get much better performance on Power
8 using MariaDB 10.0 or 10.1.

Also, the choice of which series to use should be changed using a
local config.yaml file with the series variable set to one of "5.5",
"10.0", or "10.1" (the default in the charm store is currently 10.0,
but my new update bumps the default up to 10.1). For example:

mariadb:
    series: "5.5"

When using my repository locally I can then deploy MariaDB 5.5 with:
juju deploy --config ./mariadb.yaml
--repository="/home/${USER}/src/charms/" local:trusty/mariadb

And FYI, using something like:

juju set mariadb series="5.5"

...after the initial deployment to downgrade MariaDB from the default
series to 5.5 does not work. It has to be set using a yaml file as
described above and used during the initial deployment. Using the set
command to upgrade MariaDB, from say 5.5 to 10.0, does work, it's just
downgrades that don't work.

I'm not sure if any of the above will be of help, but hopefully some
of it will. If you have additional questions or comments, please let
me know.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Bartholomew, MariaDB Release Manager
MariaDB | http://mariadb.com