Layer-Supervisor

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Thu Jul 21 21:59:01 UTC 2016

Greetings James,

+1 to Adams suggestion.

A  question about the readme examples:

There's a given example where you're getting a Workers() object but it
isn't imported, or declared. Where did it come from?

@when('myapp1.supervisor.available',
      'myapp2.supervisor.available')def run_workers():
    w = Workers()
    w.start_tasks()

Emittersare really states, I would probably rename that header for clarity.

Looking into the code, it looks like a great start. Some minor nits though:

https://github.com/jamesbeedy/layer-supervisor/blob/master/lib/charms/layer/supervisorlib.py#L43

There's some host modifications going on in here I wouldn't expect to find
here. Really I would expect to see this bit handled in the reactive layer.

Maybe place it around:
https://github.com/jamesbeedy/layer-supervisor/blob/master/reactive/supervisor.py#L11

And try to keep host modifications to the reactive module, and keep the
library tidy for interfacing with supervisor and doing the redundant things
for the user when those come about like scaling workers, providing sensible
defaults for common values.

I see quite a bit in here http://supervisord.org/configuration.html  so
you're definitely on the right path :)

All in all its a great start, I look forward to seeing where this goes, and
would like to thank you for your continued contributions to the charm and
layer ecosystem.

All the best,

Charles

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM Adam Stokes <adam.stokes at canonical.com>
wrote:

> looks good, one small nit pick, maybe change supervisorlib.py to just
> supervisor.py. that seems to be the current naming scheme of things
>
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 1:42 PM, James Beedy <jamesbeedy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> A big thanks to those of you who gave feedback! I have made some
>> revisions based on the suggestions I received from a few of you (thank
>> you!), and would like to get a second round of feedback now the
>> modifications  have been made -> [layer-supervisor](
>> https://github.com/jamesbeedy/layer-supervisor).
>>
>> Thanks all!

Juju Charmer
Canonical Group Ltd.