Does sftp eliminate the need to check sha1sum?

Adam Israel adam.israel at canonical.com
Wed Jan 13 18:56:18 UTC 2016

No, I don’t believe using SFTP is sufficient alone. Using a secure transfer protocol is good for preventing a man-in-the-middle attack but doesn’t do anything if the source binary, i.e., hosted on the "trusted" server, has been modified.

Adam Israel - Software Engineer
Canonical Ltd.
http://juju.ubuntu.com/ - Automate your Cloud Infrastructure