Query regarding setting up MAAS Server on Power Ubuntu

Shilpa Kaul shilkaul at in.ibm.com
Wed Jan 6 11:38:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

We have a scenario where we have to setup MAAS/juju infrastructure
comprising the below to test Turbo Lamp
1 KVM guest for MAAS and juju
5 KVM guests for deploying applications/charms controlled by MAAS server

The issue is that we dont have access to the Power KVM, we have access to
the  6 VM's spawned from the Power KVM only.So on one Power VM we have
installed MAAS Server by following below steps:
1) sudo add-apt-repository ppa:maas/stable
2) sudo apt-get install maas
3) sudo apt-get install libvirt-bin
4) Created a MAAS admin user
5) Connected to the MAAS web console by accessing the
browser(http://<MAAS-IP>/MAAS, where MAAS-IP is the IP of the Power VM
where we have installed MAAS Server)
6) Downloaded the boot images by selecting the ppc64el images from
http://<MAAS-IP>/MAAS/images and import them
7) Then we edited the Cluster Interface "eth0".We selected Management
field as `Unmanaged` and filled in other required fields such as IP,
Subnet Mask, Router IP, Broadcast IP, etc.
8) Modified dhcpd.conf file to add the required values for manual dhcp
configuration
9) Then through console we tried adding one node (another VM machine) by
providing its MAC address and Power type. As it is a VM, we think the
Power type should be selected as virish. But when we select option as
"virish", we need to fill in Power Address and Power ID. As we don't have
access to Power KVM Machine, we are not able to provide these details.

The documents we are following has steps relevant to Power KVM. But we
dont have access to Power KVM, will this MAAS setup work with only 6 VM's
we have, without giving the details of Power KVM. If so, can someone
please guide us how to setup MAAS cluster using VM's only?

Thanks and Regards,
Shilpa Kaul