JNS: Juju Name Server

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Tue Jan 5 08:12:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

A little while ago, I found myself wanting to address a service by its Juju
name, but outside of Juju. I didn't want to be tied to an IP/host name,
because they might change; I didn't want to be tied to any one cloud
provider; and I wanted it to work across environments.

So I wrote a little DNS server that resolves Juju entity names to IP
addresses. It's called "jns", Juju Name Server. You can find it here:
    https://github.com/axw/jns
    (go get github.com/axw/jns)

Names take one of the following forms:
    0.juju                        # machine 0
    machine-0-lxc-0.juju # machine 0/lxc/0
    mysql.juju                 # IP address of a random unit of the mysql
service
    unit-mysql-0.juju       # IP address of mysql/0

In the above forms, the entity is within the current environment. If you
want to resolve the address of an entity in another environment, you can
precede ".juju" with the name of the environment. e.g.
    mysql.prod.juju
    mysql.dev.juju
    etc.

Enjoy.