What to do with precise charms?

Matt Bruzek matthew.bruzek at canonical.com
Fri Feb 19 21:13:27 UTC 2016

Hello Jose,

Thanks for bringing this topic up! You make a good point there are going to
be three supported LTS releases available to Juju. I do not think we will
ask any maintainer to support all three releases. Currently each charm
lives in its own release and I would expect the precise charm contains an
older version of a service. It does not make sense to me that someone would
try to port the latest version of a service to the precise (12.04) charm.
If a charm happens to work on multiple releases we are talking about adding
support for that in Juju 2.0.

Our current unmaintained process addresses when an author is not responding
or maintaining the charms. We should come up with a process for "active"
charm developers to deprecate their precise charms. If a charm
developer/maintainer wants to deprecate a charm, I have seen someone
authors replace the entire readme and metadata with a deprecation warning
pointing to the latest version of the charm and get that through the review
process.

Although I don't expect we will have to do this very frequently, we locked
charms to releases so charms would continue to work with the packages that
were available in that release of the operating system. I hope that precise
charms continue to work in precise, and if that is not the case create a
bug and the author can fix the failure or put a depreciated message in the
metadata and readme.

Did I address the question you were talking about? If not please give us
more details.

Thanks!

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bruzek at canonical.com>