Layered Hadoop Core

Cory Johns cory.johns at canonical.com
Wed Feb 17 23:26:14 UTC 2016

The big data team just updated the apache-core-batch-processing bundle in
~bigdata-dev (
https://jujucharms.com/u/bigdata-dev/apache-core-batch-processing) to use
the new layered charms.  This makes the charms much easier to understand,
maintain, and extend.  We're asking for more testing by the community,
before we move the recommended core bundle over to these charms as well.

If you are interested in seeing the source layers for these charms, they
can be found in GitHub in the following repos:

    https://github.com/juju-solutions/layer-apache-hadoop-namenode
    https://github.com/juju-solutions/layer-apache-hadoop-resourcemanager
    https://github.com/juju-solutions/layer-apache-hadoop-slave
    https://github.com/juju-solutions/layer-apache-hadoop-plugin

Creating a charm that connects to the cluster is now even easier, by
extending the hadoop-client layer:

    https://github.com/juju-solutions/layer-hadoop-client

One caveat with this update is that, due to some aspects of how reactive
charms maintain state internally, in-place upgrades from the existing
charms are not recommended at this point.  You will also note that there
are some differences in the services deployed, which we made to bring them
more in line with commonly understood terminology and to prepare for fully
utilizing the HA support built-in to Hadoop 2.7.1.

We are continuing to develop these charms, as well as converting the other
big data charms, such as Spark, Zeppelin, Flume, Kafka, etc., to use layers
and reactive.  We look forward to your feedback.