Units & resources: are units homogeneous?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 17 12:09:19 UTC 2016

I think it's fine for units to self-organise into specific functions.

We'll add a means for these functions to be described to the user, later.

The only rule is that the config and resources presented to units are
consistent, or trend to consistency. In other words, when I set config
or modify a resource, I am doing that for ALL units. While the units
will individually make the transition, they will ultimately ALL make the
transition. So at some level Juju knows that units are briefly
different, depending on which ones have processed the messages
associated with the new config or new resource, but it thinks of the
entire group of units as having the same target config / resources.

If a unit asks for a resource, it should get the same answer that any
other unit asking for that resource would get at that same moment.

Mark