Getting started?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 16 14:10:04 UTC 2016

On 16/02/16 12:47, Nick Veitch wrote:
> It is also worth pointing out that the upcoming Juju 2.0 release has much
> better local provider support as it uses LXD, and if you are just
> experimenting, it may be better for you to try that!
> There are details on installing the Juju 2.0 alpha here:
> https://jujucharms.com/docs/1.25/reference-releases#development
> and configuration for LXD is here:
> https://jujucharms.com/docs/devel/config-LXD

The combination of LXD and Juju 2.0 is in principle a MUCH better
experience for laptop-local deployment:

 - you bootstrap into a container not your laptop
 - you can run and test an HA controller
 - you can run multiple separate local controllers
 - LXD with ZFS or BTRFS has a 1-second machine launch time

So, if it's plausible for you to use Xenial, I'd recommend kicking the
tires on the alpha/beta bits. Several folks have said it's been a
game-changer for their iteration process.

Mark