Use of Jujucharms to launch non-opensource code

John Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Tue Feb 9 09:25:16 UTC 2016

Generally the [A]GPL applies when you are modifying the actual object.

For example, if you have to modify the "juju" binary to add another
command, or support different hardware, then likely that would need to be
exposed.
If you are just using Juju to deploy some other program, then AGPL doesn't
apply to your other code. Juju itself invokes charm hooks as just
executables, so they can't be considered "derivative works." (Someone could
clearly replace the proprietary hook with a different executable and fix a
bug that they are experiencing.)

The more edge case is that charmhelpers itself is AGPL, so if your charm
imported charmhelpers, then that is more of a grey area. You likely need to
open source the actual charm, which sets up configuration, etc of the
program. However, you still don't have to give out the source to the
program you are configuring.

I believe jujucharms.com can be used to host personal charms (so you could
write a charm that deploys a commercial binary, and people could install it
from "juju deploy cs:~yourusername/charmname"). I don't believe we will
"promulgate" a private charm such as that. (All charms go through a code
review to change from ~username/charm into just charm, which must pass
particular guidelines.)

John
=:->