Immutable configuration best practices for charms

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 12 23:18:27 UTC 2016

On 12/12/16 12:01, Sandor Zeestraten wrote:
> How are you all dealing with immutable configurations when charming?
> I know that the best practices[1] say that charm configurations should
> not be immutable, however not all applications are created equally
> (see for example [2]).
> Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on how to deal with these issues
> where you have to lock down something when deploying?
>
> [1]
> https://jujucharms.com/docs/2.0/authors-charm-best-practice#juju-best-practices-and-tips-from-canonical's-infrastructure-team
> <https://jujucharms.com/docs/2.0/authors-charm-best-practice#juju-best-practices-and-tips-from-canonical%27s-infrastructure-team>
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/charms/+source/nova-compute/+bug/1623679

The thinking is that we should declaratively identify config elements
which are immutable (i.e. cannot be changed after deploy). At the
moment, we are digging into config patterns at the single-node level
with snaps, and then we want to bring that thinking back to Juju for
"config 2.0" on applications at the cluster level.

Mark