What's with all the test talk? (aka, give me CI already)

Kevin Monroe kevin.monroe at canonical.com
Fri Dec 9 00:36:37 UTC 2016

Hi Juju!

>From Matrix [0] to Review Queue [1] to Amulet [2] to Charm Author Workflows
[3], you'd think December was the month we all remembered the importance of
software testing.  There are oodles of test tools for charms/bundles, and
if you know about all of them, you're probably putting out thoughtful,
well-tested charms (thanks stub!).

One thing that we've found missing is a nice charm CI/CD system that
leverages these tools to automatically give developers confidence in their
code and handle the release cycle from a source repo to the charm store,
soup to nuts.  Wouldn't it be nice if you could commit a charm update to
github and automatically have Cloud Weather Report kick off Jenkins jobs on
all your clouds, which in turn called Bundletester to handle deployment,
which in turn called Amulet and Matrix to run specific tests?  Taking it a
step further, it'd be nice if that system could automatically push
charms/bundles to your edge channel (if their tests pass), and if you tag
source with a release tag, build/test/release it to your stable channel.

This kind of system is what the Big Software team has been working on
recently, and we're open to feedback!  Our goal is to deliver a system (as
a bundle) that answers the question, "how should I do CI/CD for my charms
and bundles?"  We're also working on a variation that includes the Review
Queue -- it will eventually become the brains behind
https://review.jujucharms.com and will be available for anyone wanting a
CI/CD + Source Review system in-house.

If you're interested, development is happening at
https://github.com/juju-solutions/bundle-cwr-ci.  Have a look at the readme
for more details and let us know what you think.  The bundle yaml files are
currently deployable, buy I have a nasty habit of committing straight to
master, so bear with us as development is moving fast at the moment.  Watch
this space for updates on our progress.

[0] - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/juju/2016-December/008260.html
[1] - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/juju/2016-December/008287.html
[2] - https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/juju/2016-December/008288.html