Juju has a great story around trusting devops code and letting different tools work together

Merlijn Sebrechts merlijn.sebrechts at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 21:18:41 UTC 2016

Hi all

The talk Mark gave at cfgmgmtcamp in Ghent clearly left a strong
impression. It still comes up in conversations with devops folks. However,
such a conversation quickly goes into the direction of "It sounds cool but
people will never trust other people's ops code. Look at the poor quality
of containers in docker hub. I don't think Juju can change that".

Juju has great answers to this problem. I think the biggest one is that
Juju makes it easy for charms to live in the upstream's repo. "You can
trust the quality of the Openstack charms because they are created by the
Openstack team." Juju's interfaces make this really easy. Upstreams don't
have to think about the millions of possible combinations of services. They
just focus on their own service and their job ends where the interface
begins. The poor dependency management of other devops tools make this a
lot harder.

Another thing that comes up a lot is that companies already use a
combination of different devops tools and it's getting harder and harder to
get them to work together. Juju is a great solution to this problem: Want
to get a docker container to talk to a service that's managed by your own
snowflake in-house devops tool? No problem, wrap them both in a Charm and
they can work together!

Not much of a conclusion here, I just wanted to let you know what I hear a
lot in conversations about Juju. It might be good to highlight these
qualities when you do another one of those mind-blowing talks.

Regards
Merlijn