Some bigger changes on the horizon for the Beats bundle

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Wed Aug 3 02:58:19 UTC 2016

Greetings everyone

As you may know, we piloted and charmed up the Elastic Beats which are
monitoring agents for your applications that handle operational concerns
such as log processing, machine metric shipping, and app specific monitors.

The upstream beats community is pushing through some alpha releases (most
recently up to alpha-4) on their new darling agents. This is going to bring
some work to keep the beats bundle up to date, such as moving from topbeat
to metricbeat, and the dashboards to go with them.

If anyone is interested in tracking the upstream activity with me to keep
our beats agents on the latest and greatest, I'd love a hand. If you're
curious about what's up and coming: the Elastic Blog has a great post
covering what's new and what to expect

https://www.elastic.co/blog/beats-5-0-0-alpha4-released

As time permits I'll be trying to circle back and land the updates, but
again, community effort here would be great to share the operational
knowledge I've put into those charms, and usher in some new shepherds of
this great suite of applications.

Just let me know and I'll be happy to schedule some time to work with you.
Hangout pair programming, code reviews, or even piloting + bug reports are
all welcome.

Thanks and all the best,

Charles
--