Model statuses

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Tue Apr 12 23:15:26 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm working on a fix for a bug, where we list dying/dead models in the
output of "juju list-models". While working on this, it became clear to me
that we need a way to convey the status of models to users: whether they're
available for use, being destroyed, or archived for post-mortem analysis.
We would hide the last of these by default, but show the former two and
provide the status as feedback to the user.

My intention was to standardise on some of the existing statuses: "active"
(initial state of a model; meaning it is available for use) and
"destroying" (the contents of the model are being destroyed). There would
also be a new status, "archived", which we'll set when a model has no more
external resources remaining, and its database entries exist only for
post-mortem analysis.

In some off-list conversations, it has been pointed out that we have
(nearly?) non-overlapping statuses for entities in Juju, and that we might
want to preserve this. On the other hand, some of the statuses we use have
little to do with the entities they're assigned to, and a lot to do with
the generic action being used (e.g. "destroying" relates to the action
"destroy", not so much to storage). So I thought I'd put it to the users:
 - would you find it helpful to have common* statuses?
 - or, would you find it more helpful to have statuses unique to each
entity type?

* Bear in mind that we wouldn't be changing the existing statuses now; this
is just about models for now, and new entities going forwards.

Cheers,
Andrew