Planning for Juju 2.2 (16.10 timeframe)

Samuel Cozannet samuel.cozannet at canonical.com
Fri Apr 1 16:24:25 UTC 2016

* Resource Management :
  ** GPU:
>From a very operational perspective, as GPUs become more widely available
across clouds, having a way to constrain/schedule them would be
interesting.

  ** Mapping to constraints
When colocating services, one could want to drive Juju to make clever
decisions to make sure resources are available to them. That is to say
expand the --to command to map specific machine constraints (such as --to
"cpu-cores>4"), similarly to cgroup constraints for containers.

* Monitoring / Logging / Support Tools:
Stuart made a good point on the relation for "support services" like
logging / monitoring...
I think the monitoring tools should be clever enough they recon where they
run and adapt, and users shall be free to use whichever. However the
subordinate relation is really cumbersome.

Quick win, a flag such as "juju deploy --to all <foo>" would make sense.

Alternatively, IT tools really are really attributes / meta-services of a
user's models. When one selects to run Logstash, one make that decision
globally, for all existing and future nodes and services. Therefore,
* juju enable logstash <--model foo> <--cloud bar> --all : this deploys
logstash agents to all nodes from one or more models / cloud instances....
Furthermore, as the model expands, new units would then automagically get
the support service enabled (deploy + relate)
* juju add-relation logstash < other service or json config>: this other
command inherited from the classic relates to either another charm
(elasticsearch) or provide "fake relation data" to connect to an external
service (proxy charm also possible) that is non juju driven (SaaS)

* UX
  ** Tags
One feature I really really love on Google Cloud Platform is the ability to
tag pretty much any and everything to my own vocabulary. I would love the
ability to tag charms to functional layers of my choice (middleware, front
end, back end...), to then be able to filter them efficiently.
  ** Filters
If I run a vast model, with many units of many types, I would love the
ability to filter the status by the tags I have, and not only by names.

Best,
Sam

--
Samuel Cozannet
Cloud, Big Data and IoT Strategy Team
samuel.cozannet at canonical.com
mob: +33 616 702 389
skype: samnco
Twitter: @SaMnCo_23
[image: View Samuel Cozannet's profile on LinkedIn]
<https://es.linkedin.com/in/scozannet>