Juju on MAAS agent tools upgrade mechanism

Peter Grandi pg at juju.list.sabi.co.UK
Mon Sep 21 15:07:28 UTC 2015

Sorry for the late reply, but I was looking into a few MAAS
issues, one was a failed "migrations" using Django South, then
some duplicate node entries, then some complications with adding
new machines. As to the latter I am back to the tools upgrade
problem.

Reminder of versions:

* ULTS 14.
* MAAS 1.5.4 now upgraded in-place to 1.7.6
* Juju:
  * 1.23.3 now upgraded in-place to 1.24.5 on the "client"/"controller" node,
  * All tools are still 1.23.3 on nodes and units within nodes.
  * On the Juju "state" servers the MongoDB package is 2.4.9-0ubuntu3.

> The jujud agent responsible for managing the node (also known as
> the machine agent) is responsible for ensuring tools are
> available on the machine during an upgrade. It does this by
> asking the Juju Server for the requested tools. The Juju Server
> looks in its cache and only goes to streams.canonical.com if the
> tools aren't cached locally.

> $ juju sync-tools --version 1.24

That gives me:

  $ juju sync-tools --version 1.24
  ERROR invalid binary version "1.24.5--amd64"

I get the same with:

  $ juju upgrade-juju
  ERROR invalid binary version "1.24.5--amd64"

I get the same error when adding a new node BTW and this is the
outcome:

  machine-10: 2015-09-21 12:37:33 ERROR juju.provisioner provisioner_task.go:564 cannot find tools for machine "28": invalid binary version "1.24.5--amd64"

  $ juju status | grep -A4 '"28":'
    "28":
      agent-state-info: invalid binary version "1.24.5--amd64"
      instance-id: pending
      series: trusty
  services:

Notes:

* At some point I managed to add a new node, and it installed
  tools 1.23.3 even if the Juju "client" packages had been
  upgraded to 1.24.5.
* In the above I have forced "series: trusty" after the fact by
  editing the MAAS database.

I have attached the current content of the  tools metadata
collection in case it might help.