Juju on CloudStack

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 19 10:00:51 UTC 2015

On 18/09/15 17:27, Herman Bergwerf wrote:
> Hmm, ok. I'm quite surprised a pretty widely used virtualization stack such
> as cloudstack is not implemented in juju at all. Are there maybe future
> plans to do this?

Anybody can write a cloud provider and contribute it to Juju. Canonical
will usually write one as part of the certification process for a large
public cloud (like AWS, Google, Azure) but I'm not aware of any large
CloudStack clouds so it's not on our roadmap. Of course we'd gladly land
the work if someone else does it.

> By the way, wouldn't it be easier to write a provider directly inside the
> juju code? I'm not sure if there is any documentation to do this.

Yes, a "proper" provider is built-in to juju-core and lives in the Go code of Juju itself.

As a limited workaround, you can use the Juju client plugin mechanism to
automate some of the "manual" provider work. Essentially, you use your
local cloud tools to launch machines, then register them with Juju
controller using the manual provider mechanisms. If you want to dig into
Go programming, then a cloudstack provider would be a good project. You
would be copying the structure of the OpenStack, GCE, Azure, or AWS
provider, then using the cloudstack operations to do what's necessary
there. A main question would be whether or not their is already an
implementation of the cloudstack API in Go.

Mark