[ Docs ] - Charming with Docker

Kapil Thangavelu kapilt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:46:40 UTC 2015

i think participating in the burgeoning docker ecosystem is a worthwhile
goal by making it easier to write charms that utilize docker. I do have
some concerns though about the complexity of the layering that's taking
place in the charm ecosystem. I've found that juju has been fairly hard to
teach and adapt to real world usage and the layering of frameworks at the
charm authoring level makes learning and productivity for new users even
harder to achieve (ie those docs reference, charm helpers, reactive charm
helpers, docker reactive 'layer', charm composition), all of which are
fairly advanced concepts to a new user, and frankly is all of that
nescessary to understand running a shell script
https://github.com/juju-solutions/layer-docker/blob/master/scripts/install_docker.sh
which is effectively the jujuized version of (curl get.docker.com | sh) ..
now say i want to configure an insecure registry or any other docker cli
param i have to break apart the layer abstraction anyways. It does seem
like a useful intro to some of the advanced/additional concepts in charm
authoring ecosystem, but at the same time the burden seems high (ie. kiss
violation) for how to run a docker container.

cheers,

Kapil