Inconsistencies between juju debug-hooks and "normal" hook environment

Matt Bruzek matthew.bruzek at canonical.com
Tue Oct 6 13:37:40 UTC 2015

Hell again Merlijn,

It was nice to see you at the Charmer summit!  This is a very interesting
use of Juju.

What you are seeing is what we call a "hook context".  Hooks execute with
root authority and have certain environment variables are set. This is so
Juju commands and tools work correctly.  The debug-hooks command puts you
into a "hook context" when you run  'juju resolved --retry unit/#'

As I wrote all hooks are executed with these environment variables set.  If
you are running the install script manually outside of a hook context these
environment variables would not be set.

There is more information about the environment variables here:

https://jujucharms.com/docs/devel/authors-hook-environment

However, I don't see "JUJU_HOME" listed on this page. Perhaps you could
give me more information on what variable is causing a problem and perhaps
your hooks could set those values in the case where the script runs
manually.

Cheers!

   - Matt Bruzek <matthew.bruzek at canonical.com>