[ANN] charm-tools 1.9.3

Rick Harding rick.harding at canonical.com
Thu Nov 26 00:44:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:08 PM Simon Davy

> I don't know where we are at with the resources work, but maybe that
> could have a part to play here?

This is exactly what I wanted to bring up for discussion. This work is
about to start at the end of this month/start of next. It sounds like
there's something here to building a wheel and using it as a resource and
letting the charm pull the correct wheel based on the unit architecture.

The harder part is how to get those built and upload to the store as
resources. Marco, can you work with Simon on the start of a spec and let's
start to look through some ideas on how to handle this.

I do want to say the wheel based work is great. The UI Engineering team has
done it and it's sped things up immensely. However, in their work there's
only one architecture targeted so the wheels are all pre-built and only for
one platform. To have truly reusable charms (big data on power and amd64
and ...) we need to think through this much closer to a PPA-like approach
than building on the units, especially as we're working so hard to get
deployment times down when charms get placed on units.