Upcoming change in 1.24: tags in EC2

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Fri May 29 12:58:28 UTC 2015

On 29/05/15 04:47, Andrew Wilkins wrote:
> I think going with a static name and adding the additional information in
> tags is the best way forward.
> It does mean that you have to click an extra level down, but that's going
> to be true of everything other
> than AWS anyway. This way we can reserve certain tags (say, everything
> starting with "Juju") and
> periodically reconcile them with Juju's state; and we don't have to worry
> about overwriting changes
> made by users to machine names. We'll set the machine name once on
> creation, then users can
> update them if desired.

+1, I think we should leave machine name for the user / cloud to set,
and create our own namespace.

My only addition to your comments is that we should allow for clouds
which support key-value attributes, in which case we can use juju-foo as
a key (we own the juju-* key namespace) and whatever the appropriate
value is. Some substrates will do ey-value attributes, others plain
tags, and I think our core model should allow for the key-value but
degrade to straight tags in a predictable way.

Mark