Upcoming change in 1.24: tags in EC2

Andrew Wilkins andrew.wilkins at canonical.com
Mon May 25 23:35:53 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 4:05 AM, Mark Shuttleworth <mark at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 25/05/15 18:57, Kapil Thangavelu wrote:
> > That's super awesome, and very helpful for real world usage. A few
> > suggestions, For users with multiple environments, seeing a bunch
> > machine-0 in the ui, is rather confusing, i'd suggest prefixing with
> > the env name. Potentially even more useful is actually naming the
> > machines not for their pet names, but their cattle names (workload
> > name), ie. name with the primary unit that caused the machine to
> > exist, or was the first unit assigned to the machine (minus state
> > servers).
>
> Agreed; for full chargeback we need environment uuid, for social
> debugging we need some sort of environment name, unit names and charm(s)
> deployed, including in containers on the machine. For EBS it would be
> the store name, uuid, and unit identity.

Kapil, Mark, thanks for the suggestions. Sounds good, I'll look at doing
that.

A concern I have is that these resources can be reassigned (units added,
volume
assigned to different store) so those tags would then be misleading. That's
the main
reason why I avoided including information about the workload/store in the
name. I
suppose the benefit outweighs, and we could look at updating tags later on.

Cheers,
Andrew