[PSA] Logstash Charm - Next steps, and planning

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Mon May 11 18:39:25 UTC 2015

Greetings,

Jay Wren and I had a quick planning session today over our favorite Log
Aggregation server. The Logstash charm has an interesting history for
anyone who chooses to look deeper into the repositories.

Meeting Notes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NV2nwgVAv2V9a_qgs_FbWSnH-Yya1HSrdmh6Z9dF2cU/pub

With that being said, Jay forked and modified the Logstash charm to suit a
more generic subset of users vs the huge scale-out, brokered charm that we
have in the store today. I've deployed and used this charm with great
success for monitoring nearly everything in my environment with Beaver, and
Logspout.

There is however, a bit of work that needs to be done to finish this charm
up, sand off the rough edges and make sure we're compatible with existing
deployments on our upgrade path.

While it doesn't exist today, ther ewill be a branch published here:
launchpad.net/~evarlast/charms/trusty/logstash/next   which will be our
focus of development moving forward until we reach a stable release
candidate to replace the existing Logstash charm.

If you're interested in contributing, please contact myself, or jay - there
are several forms of contribution/help that we are looking for.

- Testing upgrades
- Integration w/ other services
- proper front-end brokering with a scaled redis cluster

just to name a few examples.

All the best,

Charles Butler <charles.butler at canonical.com> - Juju Charmer
Come see the future of datacenter orchestration: http://jujucharms.com