[Juju] Azure issues & fix?

Charles Butler charles.butler at canonical.com
Fri Jun 26 16:21:53 UTC 2015

I have a solid suite of specs/docs already for the DNS charm, more looking
for user requirements of what you need to make this happen, to correct the
Hostname Resolution. Does this constitute a new relationship? Should these
services just bind into the existing relationship model there and then DNS
takes care of it from there?

There are some impl. details that I'm not sure about, but your feedback
would be golden in making a first pass at making this happen.

http://github.com/chuckbutler/dns-charm
https://github.com/chuckbutler/DNS-Charm/tree/master/docs

If you could open issues about the suggested features, lets start there and
we'll work them into the project docs + roadmap and we can beta this as
quick as we can get the features written.

Cheers!

Charles Butler <charles.butler at canonical.com> - Juju Charmer
Come see the future of datacenter orchestration: http://jujucharms.com

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Samuel Cozannet <
samuel.cozannet at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Thx, that would help.
> What form of documentation / specs are you expecting exactly?
>
> BTW, if that could also be included in Fan Networking, we would have a set
> of cool networking features for container workloads.
> On Jun 26, 2015 8:22 AM, "Charles Butler" <charles.butler at canonical.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hey Sam,
>>
>> Back when I was working on the big data eco we ran into this problem
>> consistently on many substrates. There is work there that we can probably
>> extrapolate into a helper function to eliminate this behavior on even the
>> hackiest of situations. I'm not 100% a fan of just tossing a bunch of DNS
>> data in /etc/hosts - but it does work.
>>
>> We should work together w/ the new work thats been landed in the DNS
>> charm to try and offer a proper solution to this that doesn't involve a
>> static list in /etc/hosts that is subject to environment changes, and let a
>> proper DNS host offer that name resolution in our deployments. I know that
>> I've gotten this to work with minmal effort on my internal LAN, which is a
>> far cry from a data center, but this works extremely well.
>>
>> LMK if you're interested, I'd like to get some requirements established
>> and extend the charm to do what you need it to, so we can call this a
>> finished line item by adding 1 additional charm to the toplogy and some
>> relations.
>>
>> All the best,
>>

>> Charles Butler <charles.butler at canonical.com> - Juju Charmer
>> Come see the future of datacenter orchestration: http://jujucharms.com
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 8:17 PM, Samuel Cozannet <
>> samuel.cozannet at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Been struggling all week to get a decent Sentiment Analysis bundle on
>>> Azure, while it used to work for ages.
>>>
>>> Apparently, the "new" Azure after ARM templates is managing DNS a bit
>>> differently than in the past. There is no (more?) resolution of hostnames
>>> in the private network, but of the local machine.
>>>
>>> If you have any charm/bundle that uses (private) DNS resolution, I
>>> encourage you to test them against MS Azure, and eventually enforce charm
>>> relations to update /etc/hosts on all units, or whatever method to enable
>>> DNS resolution on, to and from every unit in the deployment.
>>> This should not break deployments on other clouds, and will re-enable
>>> Azure if it suddenly started to fail.
>>>
>>> If anyone has more / other info on this matter, or on specifics of
>>> Azure, I'd be happy hear your feedback.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Best,