Rackspace deployment without os-security-groups support.

Mark Hannessen m.hannessen at youwe.nl
Thu Jun 11 11:50:11 UTC 2015

Hi Everyone,

For one of our customers we are trying to deployment juju charms into the Rackspace Openstack Cloud.

I feel we are pretty close to getting everything working but we are currently triggering the following error:

uploading tools for series [trusty]
Launching instance
ERROR bootstrap failed: cannot start bootstrap instance: cannot set up groups: failed to create a security group with name: juju-youwe
caused by: Resource at https://lon.servers.api.rackspacecloud.com/v2/<id>/os-security-groups not found
caused by: request (https://lon.servers.api.rackspacecloud.com/v2/ <id> /os-security-groups) returned unexpected status: 404; error info: 404 Not Found

The resource could not be found.

ERROR cannot start bootstrap instance: cannot set up groups: failed to create a security group with name: juju-youwe
caused by: Resource at https://lon.servers.api.rackspacecloud.com/v2/ <id> /os-security-groups not found
caused by: request (https://lon.servers.api.rackspacecloud.com/v2/ <id> /os-security-groups) returned unexpected status: 404; error info: 404 Not Found

The resource could not be found.

Our current config looks like this:

default: rackspace

environments:
# https://juju.ubuntu.com/docs/config-openstack.html
rackspace:
type: openstack
use-floating-ip: false
use-default-secgroup: false
network: <removed>
auth-url: https://identity.api.rackspacecloud.com/v2.0
tenant-name: " <removed> "
region: LON
auth-mode: userpass
username: <removed>
password: <removed>
control-bucket: <removed>
default-series: trusty
proxy-ssh: false

>From what i can work out it looks like Rackspace does not implement security-groups ( or any firewalling for that matter ) in there cloud product.
Retrieving the security-group settings simply results in a 404.

Looking on the internet i found the setting "firewall-mode" which had a promising description for working around this.
https://jujucharms.com/docs/devel/config-general

"The mode to use for network firewalling. 'instance' requests the use of an individual firewall per instance. 'global' uses a single firewall for all instances (access for a network port is enabled to one instance if any instance requires that port). 'none' requests that no firewalling should be performed inside the environment. It's useful for clouds without support for either global or per instance security groups"

Adding this this environments.yaml ( and deleting ~/.juju/environments/*.jenv ) still resulted in the same error however.
I tried upgrading juju all the way to the latest alpha release as well. But this didn't seem to work.

Any idea as to what it would require to make this work?

Met vriendelijke groet,

Mark Hannessen

Senior System Administrator / Architect
Tel: +31 50 5775822-9702