Important: upgrading a 1.23 environment

Menno Smits menno.smits at canonical.com
Sun Jul 26 23:28:23 UTC 2015

On 24 July 2015 at 19:09, Peter Sabaini <peter.sabaini at canonical.com> wrote:

> On 24.07.15 05:31, Menno Smits wrote:
> > The new plugin to help with stuck upgrades is done. The pull request
> > is here: https://github.com/juju/plugins/pull/60. Marco: can you
> > please take a look?
>
> Heya Menno,
>
> AFAICT the plugin will restart state servers, correct?

Yes, but this is no different to a normal upgrade (all agents restart
themselves to upgrade).

At the point where the upgrade gets stuck the state machine agents have
tried to shut themselves down and almost all workers inside the agent have
stopped in an orderly fashion - there's just one or two workers which are
refusing to stop. The unstick-upgrade plugin takes care of one of the final
steps that the agent would normally do (switching the tools symlink to
point to the version) and then restarts the agent (because it is unable to
do so itself). This should be quite safe.

> I'm wondering if this is safe, resp. what the potential knock-on
> effects would be? For instance, will this trigger hook runs across
> all units?

There will be no hook runs that wouldn't happen after a normal upgrade
anyway.

Marco has kindly merged unstick-upgrade into github.com/juju/plugins, so it
is now readily available.

- Menno