Specify Amazon VPC/Subnet

Dimiter Naydenov dimiter.naydenov at canonical.com
Tue Jul 14 12:11:02 UTC 2015

Hi Mark,

It seems you're hitting a known bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/juju-core/+bug/1321442

I've analyzed the code and updated the bug with a rough plan to roll
out support for the non-default VPC scenario on EC2.

Unfortunately, juju supports either an EC2-Classic (no VPC) or EC2-VPC
(only with a default VPC) at the moment. There are features planned
and already in progress in feature branches that will allow greater
control and flexibility with VPC deployments, so hopefully the
situation will improve soon. Until then the proposed workaround -
having a way to specify a "vpc-id" to use in environments.yaml needs
to be implemented. So please use the quoted bug to track its progress
and add your feedback on the proposal.

Thanks,
Dimiter

On 13.07.2015 11:21, Mark Hannessen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For one of our customers we seek to deploy a juju setup inside of a
> Amazon VPC. I have already configured the VPC with an internal
> gateway and am able to boot machines inside of it as expected.
> Internet connectivity works as expected.
>
> Unfortunately juju bootstrap does not seem to deploy the bootstrap
> node inside the VPC by default. juju bootstrap --constraints
> "cpu-cores=1" --upload-series trusty --upload-tools --to
> zone=eu-west-1a
>
> I suspect i need a parameter to specify the subnet of the VPC
> (subnet-06932f5f) but i couldn't find it on
> https://jujucharms.com/docs/devel/config-general
>
> You can see my current configuration below.
>
> default: amazon
>
> environments: amazon: type: "ec2" region: "eu-west-1" access-key:
> "<removed>" secret-key: "<removed>" image-stream: "released"
> default-series: trusty
>

> Anyone any idea as to how to make this work?
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Mark

- --
Dimiter Naydenov <dimiter.naydenov at canonical.com>