Messaging to new users

Nick Veitch nick.veitch at canonical.com
Thu Jul 2 10:39:03 UTC 2015

I don't think it is a docs thing. The https://jujucharms.com/get-started
page doesn't even mention MAAS, the test runthrough is provider-agnostic
and the install page only mentions MAAS alongside a number of other cloud
providers. I think the culprit may be google - historically there were a
lot of blogs and youtube videos about MAAS and Juju and the two come up
quite prominently even if you just search for things like "juju test " or
"juju install"

That said, if we should steer newcomers to a particular first-time
experience, that can be easily done.

On 2 July 2015 at 11:21, Mario Splivalo <mario.splivalo at canonical.com>
wrote:

> Hi, Jose!
>
> Probably there should be a 'introduction to maas' or 'maas by example'
> which would help new users to get started with new MAAS cluster in KVM
> virtual machines - I'm assuming not a lot of newcomers have several
> bare-metal boxes lying around just to play with MAAS.
>
> There is a very good blog from Chris Arges that explains how one could
> start with MAAS in KVM - it even explains how to connect juju to that MAAS:
>

> http://dinosaursareforever.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/manually-deploying-openstack-with.html
>
> The blog talks about OpenStack but it starts with creating VMs,
> installing MAAS on one of them, configuring it, enlisting other VMs,
> etc, etc...
>
>         Mario
>
> On 07/02/2015 05:13 AM, José Antonio Rey wrote:
> > Unfortunately there is no easy way. Even though the docs are quite clear
> > people are always looking to have a bit of human interaction. Hence, the
> > questions on IRC. I think it's just a matter of us being humans and
> > trying to reach another human. As I mentioned, the docs are quite clear
> > and understandable.
> >
> > --
> > José Antonio Rey
> >

> > On Wed, Jul 1, 2015, 20:54 Tim Penhey <tim.penhey at canonical.com
> > <mailto:tim.penhey at canonical.com>> wrote:
> >
> >     I have been wondering for a while how we message to new users.
> >
> >     I raise this because I see quite a few messages on stack overflow
> that
> >     go something like this:
> >
> >        "I'm really new to Juju and I'm trying to set up MaaS."
> >
> >     I feel that if we are getting to this, we are doing something wrong.
> >     Perhaps we should have better docs around initial evaluation testing?
> >     How do we direct people more to the local provider and manual
> >     provisioning on existing hardware over setting up their own MaaS to
> try
> >     Juju?
> >
> >     Tim
> >
> >     --