Makefile target names

Mario Splivalo mario.splivalo at canonical.com
Thu Jan 22 15:07:38 UTC 2015

On 01/22/2015 03:57 PM, Ryan Beisner wrote:
> Thanks for pointing out the yaml control file, that could be useful.  But
> before we make any modifications to the OpenStack charms, I think it would
> be helpful to have an agreed-upon convention for the following in terms of
> Makefile target names:
>
>    - nose / unit tests
>       - make test
>       - make unit_test
>       - Both are in use.
>       - 2 cents:  I would reserve both of these for unit tests, never for
>       amulet tests.

+1.
>    - lint checks
>       - make lint
>       - Already unified on this afaict.

+1

>    - amulet tests
>    - make test
>       - make functional_test
>       - Both are in use.
>       - 2 cents:  I think functional_test leaves no question as to usage.
>    - charm-helpers sync

+1 for functional_test

Also, at the recent mtg it was mentioned that automated test suite
doesn't care for 'functional_test' target, presumably because amulet
tests are run with 'juju test', so make target is actually not needed.
But to avoid confusion I'm +1-ing again 'functional_test.

Maybe worth mentioning - the MongoDB charm I inherited has .venv target
that prepares venv for unit_tests to be run. Shall this also be a
standard? The issue with this approach is that only 'running' series are
tested - if I'm on precise, then I'll be unit_testing precise, if I
upgraded to utopic, then I'd be testing utopic, etc... In that light -
shall .venv remain as it is, or?

	Mario