An Open Question: Charm Dependency Management

Michael Nelson michael.nelson at canonical.com
Tue Jan 20 19:24:16 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:17 AM, David Britton
<david.britton at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 05:58:24PM +0000, Marco Ceppi wrote:
>> I don't see how a Makefile in a charm doesn't resolve this issue.
>
> +1 on some standard published Makefile targets.  We already have some
> that are highly recommended:
>
>  - test
>  - lint

+1 (and -1000 on any Makefile targets which run as sudo)

> Maybe:
>
>  - test-depends or depends  # to install/update dependencies needed for
>                               testing

It doesn't hurt to have an extra target like test-depends, but it
should be enough to just have the test target depend on some other
target that's required for whatever technology the author is using.
For eg., if it was a python charm that needed some python packages:

.virtualenv:
    virtualenv .virtualenv
    .virtualenv/bin/pip install -r test_requirements.txt

test: .virtualenv
    ./virtualenv/bin/python ./unit-tests

Yep, you could make that DRYer, but it might be less readable.

-Michael