Lets version lock the docs!

Nick Veitch nick.veitch at canonical.com
Thu Jan 15 21:37:42 UTC 2015

I agree that we wish to update old versions. It isn't so much work if:

1. We remain reasonably consistent, so merges can easily be done across
multiple branches. Therefore, keep your merges small and limited to single
files where possible - if you have more to update, do it in different
branches. I will add something like this to the contributor guide.

2. We don't try and support a ridiculous number of versions, just the ones
people may/should be using. E.g. I don't see why we would have more than
one version of the 1.20 series. We may wish to retire some versions at some
point also.

As an additional note, I think there are better things we can do with the
file structure to avoid duplication and issues with images, and to ensure
that the tip version is *not* the default version of the docs you see - the
current version should be the default, the master branch should be
available to see (labelled as 'dev' or something?) but typically it may
include documentation about features not currently landed in a stable
version.

I will also add a note about versions to the intro page.