Lets version lock the docs!

Marco Ceppi marco.ceppi at canonical.com
Wed Jan 14 17:54:36 UTC 2015

Hey everyone,

There's currently quite a few version of juju available [0] from various
sources (cloud archive, ubuntu archive, stable ppa, source). While I know
the release team is doing a great job in making sure that versions of juju
are consistent across platforms, it's inevitable that users will be on
different versions. As more features land in juju, documentation will
become inconsistent for users. This, again, is a topic that has undergone
quite a bit of discussion from when the docs were originally migrated to
Markdown at various UDS and vUDS meetings what I'd like to do is get the
ball moving on completing this: offering multiple version of the docs for
released version of juju.

The proposal is as follows. The juju docs repository will continue to have
a "master" branch which will be "tip of trunk" for juju and documentation
bits, essentially "devel". As the release team gears up for a release we
will create a branch for that release milestone (1.20, 1.21, 1.22, etc).
>From there, the jujucharms.com/docs website will offer latest release as
default view (ie: jujucharms.com/docs/getting-started) and a drop down to
select previous versions of docs, which will be available at docs/VERSION
(ie: jujucharms.com/docs/1.21/getting-started).

Any issues, typos, or mistakes that need to be addressed and previous
versions of the docs can take place in that branch and will continued to be
built periodically with the rest of the doc. We're pretty confident this
model will work out great for those writing the docs, not wanting to land
fixes too soon while improving overall user experience in reading the
documentation.

Ideally, we'd like this to coincide with the next juju release, 1.21, so
before that lands we'd like to call for feedback about the process outlined
above, concerns, or questions.

[0]: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=juju

Thanks,
Marco Ceppi