Juju GUI 2.0 - public beta

Uros Jovanovic uros.jovanovic at canonical.com
Wed Dec 23 11:56:53 UTC 2015

I'm really happy to announce availability of the new and shiny beta version
of Juju GUI 2.0 with completely redesigned and rewritten user interface and
improved user experience. New GUI introduces:
- redesigned canvas, relation management and charm handling with the new
inspector,
- better integration with the charm store, unifying the web experience at
jujucharms.com,
- new machine view with drag'n'drop functionality - allocating units has
never been easier,
- enables creating and switching between models within a controller,
- supports new bundle deploys, ...

Not much has stayed the same, so it's best if you give the new GUI a try
yourself.

We're aware of the small details that need polish before we close the beta,
but we'd like to make 2.0 release rock solid and therefore would appreciate
as much feedback from you as possible. Please use the github issue tracker
[1] to file any bug that you encounter and please provide as much
information as possible, for example, about the cloud, juju version, steps
made, errors from the browser console, etc.

[1] https://github.com/juju/juju-gui/issues

# GUI with controllers and models
If you would like to test the GUI against a Juju controller, the jes
feature flag needs to be enabled before bootstrapping. This will enable you
to create, list and manage models directly from the GUI.

export JUJU_DEV_FEATURE_FLAGS=jes
juju bootstrap

# Availability of Juju GUI 2.0 beta:

## Juju 1.25 or older
The charm is available at cs:~yellow/trusty/juju-gui and at
https://jujucharms.com/u/yellow/juju-gui on the web. Just do the usual:

juju deploy cs:~yellow/juju-gui

## Juju master (1.26 alphas)
Recent juju builds support new publishing mechanism and can properly parse
URLs with development channel. If you're using recent juju builds,
bootstrap a controller on a cloud of your choice and use the development
version of the promulgated Juju GUI charm located at
cs:development/juju-gui or https://jujucharms.com/development/juju-gui on
the web. You can deploy the development version of the charm with

juju deploy cs:development/juju-gui

You should see the follwing response:
Added charm "cs:development/trusty/juju-gui-42" to the environment.
Deploying charm "cs:development/trusty/juju-gui-42" with the charm series
"trusty".

PS: We really did not plan ahead that the first promulgated development
charm will have revision number 42 :)

Looking forward to your feedback and have fun,
Uros