Bootstrapping the enviornment

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 6 14:30:56 UTC 2015

On 26/11/15 22:01, Pshem Kowalczyk wrote:
> I'm building an environment using MAAS and juju. At this stage I use a
> standalone server (not a blade) for MAAS, that I use to deploy juju onto
> blade servers. I was wondering if'd be possible to integrate MAAS into one
> of the blades, but in a way the blade remains usable to juju.
>
> One solution I came up with is to install two KVM instances (one to host
> MAAS, one as the "virtual bare metal" that MAAS can manage) onto the first
> blade. That would have to be manual.
>
> I was wondering if anyone tried to automate this process or came up with
> some working configs?

We use something similar on our orange boxes.

 * MAAS region+rack controller on one machine at the bare metal
 * n KVM VMs on the MAAS machine, using the Virsh power type
    - n is determined by how much load you want on that machine
 * often we will bootstrap the Juju controller into one of those VMs

This is not a production setup, but it's a nice way to get the most out
of the hardware for a PoC.

Mark